EU Requirements for e-Liquids
The growth of the e-Liquid sales and the vaping industry has been monumental over the past few years and the predicted sales in 2017 are $4.4 Billion and is predicted to as high as $32 Billion by 2021 [ref. researchandmarkets.com]. Much of this growth is fueled by a desire to stop smoking and agreement by many experts that vaping is a less harmful substitute for cigarettes.
The entry level for setting up an e-Liquid production facility was quite low due to the largely unregulated nature of the industry. Consequently, it was relatively easy and cheap to set up a facility for e-Liquid blending. However, this is all changing as bodies like the World Health Organisation (WHO), the Food And Drug Administration (FDA), and the EU introduce legislation to better regulate the industry and ensure better control over the manufacture, labeling and sale of e-Liquid products. The legislation is intended to safeguard the consumer against bad products and bad suppliers by ensuring more consistent products, accurate labeling of the product, better packaging safety and control over the sale of these products.
In the light of these new and pending regulations many manufacturers of e-Liquids are reviewing their practices and procedures in order to improve their manufacturing standards to comply with these regulations. In order to control the ingredients in e-Liquids and to as far as possible remove any contaminants, companies are moving their manufacturing process into a controlled cleanroom environment. In addition to providing air management and filtration, the cleanroom environments also drives improved working practices and standards.
NGS Cleanroom Solutions have developed the Polywall cleanroom system which is ideal for the e-Liquid industry and for e-Cigratte manufacture. The cleanroom easily assembled and has the flexibility to be configured to fit the clients’ working environments. All the features for air management lighting, cleanroom furniture etc. can be designed into our Polywall cleanroom.
- The EU introduced new rules for nicotine-containing electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and refill containers which manufacturers in Member States have to comply. For more details see Regulation 26 of the European Union (Manufacture, Presentation and Sale of Tobacco and Related Products) Regulations 2016 (S.I. No. 271 of 2016).
- New Regulations to impact the Irish E-Cigarette Industry – https://byrnewallace.com/news-and-recent-work/publications/new-regulations-to-impact-the-irish-e-cigarette-industry.html
- E-cigarettes: regulations for consumer products – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-cigarettes-regulations-for-consumer-products
- Federal Government Register (Final Rule) – …Restrictions on the Sale and Distribution of Tobacco Products…
- FDA: Deeming Tobacco Products To Be Subject to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, as Amended by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act…